Pottery Barn Knock-Off Ribbon Mobile – {Tutorial}

What an awesome day we are having here in Orange County, CA! The air is crisp, there is a cool breeze, and the sun is out to play! I love it! We have had some rainy days lately, and I love those too, don’t get me wrong, but I love those days when you can totally tell that it’s AUTUMN outside! Well, as much as you can here in So Cal. It’s not like we really have too much of a season change in any direction.

We have been so busy in general the past couple weeks, but we were especially busy last weekend with birthday parties! I love em’, because we get candy, cake, BBQ’s, and lots of good friends to share it with. For one of my dear friends, I made a ribbon mobile for her daughter’s birthday gift. A couple months ago, I was inspired by this mobile from Pottery Barn Teen:

It is so stinkin’ cute (as are most things out of that darn catalog), but for $70 I told myself, I can totally do that! Also, it only came in the purplish color you see above. My friends play room is a mixture of pink, green, and white and she sort of has a polka dot theme going on, so I decided to go for it.

After a couple weeks and many trips back to the craft store for more ribbon, I finally finished and this is what I ended up with:

I just bought two metal rings from Joann’s and spray painted them white. Then I cut all my ribbon to 27 inches. I measured my rings around so I knew how much room I had to work with the ribbon placement. Then, I laid out my tape measure and placed all my ribbon along the tape measure and moved different pieces around to I had the look I wanted. After that, I took my hot glue gun and put a tiny dab of glue on the end of each ribbon and wrapped it around and glued it to itself. After a couple hours,… Viola!

Then, I took the clear line that you use for jewelry making and tied 4 strands onto each metal ring and then gathered it at the top and tied a knot. To hang it from the ceiling, you just have to buy one of those small hooks that has a screw on the end and twist that little guy up in to your ceiling and there you have it.

My friend absolutely loves it and I loved making for her!

Click HERE to see where I’m linking to and don’t forget to join in on the fun!

Print Friendly

Comments

1. JC's Loft says:

Good job! That seriously looks like the original just with different colors : ) I made one for my sister n law's bridal shower and it took me for ever, but was so worth it!

2. Nikki says:

A-DORABLE!!!!!! LOVE it seriously! Thanks so much for linking this up at gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

3. This is beautiful! Way better than the Pottery Barn version!

4. So beautiful. I really love this!! I really like the colors too

5. poindextr says:

very very sweet – great job!

6. sarah says:

I love that idea. really creative.

7. jpivot says:

love, love, love it! I have an 11 year old granddaughter that is going to love it for Christmas! Thank you for linking to my daughter Nikki's blog

8. Samantha says:

That is so pretty!

9. Very cute! Can you believe Pottery Barn charged $70 – yikes!

Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

10. Jami says:

Your ribbon mobile is much cuter than your inspiration!! I had to go back and see which one was your creation!
    Great job!
    smiles!

11. Melissa says:

So Cute! I saw these and I loved it! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tell All!

12. Ann says:

You could totally sell those at craft fairs. I would buy one from you! Adorable!!

13. AllieMakes! says:

OH! That turned out adorable! So cute!
    You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

14. Jami says:

This turned out really beautiful! In fact, I think it's way cuter than the original!

15. amazing!!! i think i like yours better than the inspiration! i'm following :)

16. LOVE IT! I love how whimsical it is!

17. Adorable, and perfect with those butterflies just behind :) Love me some pink and brown too!

18. C.R.A.F.T. says:

this is AMAZING. i am featuring you next week…thank you for linking up to MMM :)

19. So cute! What a neat idea. {I followed you here from "Its Sew Stinkin Cute}

20. Mandy says:

thanks for linking up to TAke-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Craft Edition – I featured you today! —Mandy, http://www.craftedition.blogspot.com

21. Amy says:

I LOVE IT!!! It is SO much cuter than the PB version, truly!

22. I love this! I did a small feature on my blog, feel free to check it out and grab a button!

Trackbacks

1. [...] another layer of ribbon on the inside. Similar instructions for creating the mobile can be found here and [...]

2. [...] Barn inspiration Courtney at Between U and Me wanted to make something similar to a $70 ribbon mobile she saw at Pottery Barn Teen. Using this [...]

3. [...] think the second thing I ever pinned on Pinterest was a Ribbon Mobile from Between U & Me. Yep, over a year ago and up until this week it was another unaccomplished project. But the whole [...]