Laundry Room Organization

Friday, my little guy (I mean my big guy) got to go to a soccer clinic. We signed up halfway through the session so when we got there the other kids were dribbling, shooting, slide tackling and practically doing bicycle kicks with ease. I told L that he was to go run around, listen to his coaches, and above all else, have fun.

Now, before we go any further I should give you some background on my kid. He is a little OCD and I’m pretty sure I did this to him. Sorry, baby. Even when he was an infant he was very interested in making everything just right. He enjoys lining up his cars by make and model and has mini meltdowns when his sister opens the kitchen drawer and takes out all the towels. I secretly worry that he will end up like that Jack Nicholson character in As Good As It Gets. No, I’m just kidding. Well, sorta…

While all the other kids, including my friends daughter (below), were playing with the ball and doing this:

Tapping the ball

Dribbling and shooting

My kid wasn’t really interested in all that soccer mumbo jumbo. Bless his sweet little heart.

“Wow, what are these? Hmmm,… plastic coney things.”

“These need to be organized in some fashion.”

“Perhaps a single file line.”

“Yes, I can see it coming together now.”

“This is gonna be so cool.”

“Someone say my name? No,— back to my line.”

I called him over, told him we were here to kick around the ball and sent him on his way. Like a good boy, he went and sat with the rest of the kids. I was expecting something spectacular out of of this kid any second. Now, I don’t know much about soccer, but I’m almost positive there is not this much organizing involved. Then, I looked over and saw him do this:

“You gonna use this?”

“That’s better.”

Then, the line of perfectly arranged cones followed him all around the field. Weird.

“Okay, let’s go.”

He’s strange, but I wouldn’t have him any other way.

Alright, now for business. After visiting Target for my “Craft Closet Stuff” I was inspired to redo my laundry room and so I also got “Laundry Room Stuff.” (I’m not really sure why I decided to capitalize and quote that, but it’s probably because the “stuff” is so stinkin’ cool.) When we moved in, almost 2 years ago, D installed these laundry room cabinets and I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do with them.

Before

After, I went to Target and then went back to Target a couple more times, this is what I came up with:

After

Ta da! Much more functional and way prettier, too. I do have one teensy weensy problem, though. What do you think I should do with that little niche in front of the window? Do you think I should just leave it the way it is with nothing there or do you think I should put something on that shelf? If so, what should go there? I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Hope everyone is having an awesome weekend!

I’m linked up here:
Print Friendly

Comments

1. i think leave it. it's well balanced. loved reading your post. i have a "d" too :)

2. Meg says:

I'm loving the green and black. It looks so cute. I agree, the window is so small, you want the light to come through…right? Ok, maybe? I just love it. I did a little laundry room organizing and it feel so great to be organized! Yeah! (Your son is so stinkin' cute).

I have a link party on Fridays…I'd love it if you'd join!

3. very nice and organized! i like it!!! good job. :) hope to hear from you soon!

4. Erin says:

very cute! Love the green and black. Maybe live with it for awhile and if you feel like it needs something…maybe a cute "laundry" sign…or glass jars filled with something that still lets the light come thru, but also marks the space…or maybe a sheer with a green and black ruffle or ribbon or something?

5. Lorie says:

It looks great! I wish my laundry room looked that cute!

Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!

6. C.R.A.F.T. says:

WOW! you did a great job :) come on over and link up to MMM!

7. lisa says:

It is SO cute! I probably wouldn't put anything on the shelf portion, but would string a itty bitty clothesline with coordinating cut-out clothes (to match your black/green/blue theme) at the very top of the window. (but i like those kinds of things… lol!)

8. Mary says:

It's a great idea to have the baskets and bins on there. I have been wanting to do something to my laundry room but bc i'm in an apt i can't do too much, but the bins and baskets are great! Thank you for sharing your creations!!

As far as the window, I like Lisa's idea above about the clothes line too. My suggestion would be to add a mini curtain on the window to match your color scheme. Maybe some green with black pokadots or black and blue pokadots. To decorate the window without adding shade or overing up the light that comes through it.

9. Mary says:

btw, your boy is very cute!!! looks like he has some organizational, creative, and structured traits you can take advantage of! Maybe soccer isn't his thing right now, but don't discourage it and introduce it later.

10. dogsmom says:

do you ever open the window for air? Then setting anything there would be a nuisance. Either way you want to keep the light coming through. It does not look unfinished plain/bare.
    I say allow your children to be the persons they are, as long as they are enjoying life and making friends. Friends are a necessary part of being a balanced person.

11. Looks great ~ LOVE an organized laundry!

12. Chris says:

Love the pops of green. As for the shelf, I would rotate photos of my kids…why I have all that laundry to do!

13. Leanne says:

It looks great and I love the black and green. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday link party through this Saturday and would love for you to join. There's a great giveaway too. Hope to see you there.

14. Leanne says:

Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. Hoep to see you again this week.

15. Jana says:

Love the neat and tidy look to your laundry room cabinet. Target has some great finds!
    Thanks for the visit earlier, I’m now following you back via email.